<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Dan Goodman's prediction and politics journal.

Tuesday, July 29, 2003

Monday 28 July 2003. It might've been a mistake to subscribe to Fantasy & Science Fiction, I think. The September issue has six stories, five of which bore me. The sixth -- Richard Paul Russo, "Tropical Nights at the Natatorium," has two characters who interest me. The background and theme bore me. (If your tastes differ from mine by being more "literary," you might want to look at two of the stories: Bret Bertholf's "Alfred Bester is Alive and Well and Living in Winterset, Iowa" and Elaine Stirling's "White Cloud.")

Mail also included De Profundis, the LASFS newsletter. It includes a plug for the Los Angeles bid for the 2006 Worldcon, and a site selection ballot.

Marty Helgesen forwarded this from the Christian Fandom mailing list. It's about the tradition/genre the Left Behind books belong to, starting considerably earlier than the beginning of that series.

"http://www.christianitytoday.com/bc/2003/004/14.9.html

It's not easy to say something new about the end of the world.

by Crawford Gribben"

A footnote led me to the Left Behind web page http://www.leftbehind.com/. It bears a resemblance to the two Twin Cities New Age "Believe what anyone except the medical profession tells you" monthly papers.

Besides the main series, there's now the children's series (up to #30) and the military series (just beginning). No comic books yet. No mention of translations; there probably are some.

"Take Our Poll
Are you ready for Jesus to return?

I'm anxiously expecting his return
I hope he comes during my lifetime, but not yet
I need to get ready
I'm afraid I'll be Left Behind
I know I'll be left behind, but I don't know what to do"

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?