<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Dan Goodman's prediction and politics journal.

Sunday, August 17, 2003

Saturday August 16, 2003. I ran the Time Dollar Store at Pillsbury House from 10 am to 1 pm.

The Time Dollar Store is part of the Community Barter Network. What's bartered in CBN is time. One hour of work for another person or an organization earns one Time Dollar. It can be used to buy an hour of work from another CBN member, or to buy goods at the Time Dollar Store.

Some people hate the idea of one hour's work being the same no matter what the service is. Others consider it wildly impractical. I don't quite understand the first objection. As for the second -- I see it working. It wouldn't be feasible without a computer to help keep track, and it might not work as the main currency. But it does work.

"I was sitting at my desk one day in 1997 when the phone rang. It was a retired [Arthur Andersen] partner, who had been asked to give a speech about some of the ethical problems in business today.... 'Let me tell you what I think is a very, very difficult problem,' I said. "It's the problem of a young person who believes that he or she has seen something wrong and is trying to raise the problem to a superior.' I then gave an example or two, but the partner interrupted me. 'So what you're saying is that a big ethical problem today,' he said, 'is the problem of insubordination. That these young people think they know better than their bosses.' The comment took my breath away. Maybe I wasn't being clear, I thought. 'No,' I said, 'the problem is that young people see things that are wrong. It may be their bosses that are doing wrong, it may be other people in the company, it may be something going on in a client relationship that they are concerned about -- and it's very difficult for them to find a way to raise that problem without putting their career at risk.' The line went absolutely silent for several seconds. Finally the retired partner said, 'Thank you very much,' and hung up the phone." pp 66-67, Final Accounting: ambition, greed, and the fall of Arthur Anderson. Barbara Ley Toffler with Jennifer Reingold. 2003. Broadway Books.

From Pillsbury House to the Office Max at Lake and Nicollet. The back-to-school sale included a Sharp computer for $10, minus an in-store $5 rebate and a $5 mail rebate. Not quite free, since sales tax and postage weren't included; but it did seem worth that price.

Rainbow Foods had a two-day sale on chicken legs for 25 cents a pound in about-five-pounds packages. However, the cut-up chicken which have been advertised at 79 cents a pound was now 49 cents a pound. I bought that instead.

I also bought a half-gallon of grapefruit juice. I finished it off within a few hours. It's been hot.

[View/Post Comments]
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?