<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Dan Goodman's prediction and politics journal.

Wednesday, September 10, 2003

Wednesday September 10, 2003. To Pillsbury House, where I did data entry for the Community Barter Network. Anything entered on 8/25 had somehow gotten lost, so there was more to do than usual.

Read: _Google Pocket Guide_. Published by O'Reilly. It has plain, detailed explanations of how to do many things with Google -- enough for at least three months of experimentation.
For more, see this book's big brother -- _Google Hacks_ -- which has a number of sample PERL scripts.

****************************
Self-Improvement
****************************
100 Simple Secrets of Happy People
by David Niven, Ph.D.
List price: $9.95 Your price: $7.96
Lieutenant Richard Sharpe returns to the battlefields of the Iberian Peninsula to save Portugal from a deadly and complete invasion by one of the world's most infamous dictators: Napoleon Bonaparte.
Buy this e-book: http://us.perfectbound.com/F66020D5-EE15-4518-A523-AD3EF66E15FA/10/1/en/eBookDetails.htm?ID=1C6C51B4-DA7C-419C-9199-14E32F9ECB6F

Comment on LiveJournal to Jon Singer (aka jonsinger):

"I have met at least two people who cannot consciously visualize -- they do not voluntarily make pictures in their head. This makes explaining many kinds of things to them rather difficult for most of us; one of them teaches other people, and it does interesting things to his methods."

There are, that I know of: People who remember visually, and who visualize. People who remember what they've heard and "visualize" sound. People whose memories are abstract.

And then the group I'm in: haptic, a combination of touch, muscle memory, and other "feelings".

If I write something down, I remember it. If someone else says "Here, let me write that down for you!" -- I'd better have that piece of paper at hand, because I'm not going to remember what the other person has written. I remember how it felt to move through places I've lived in much better than I do how they looked.

I learn by doing much better than I do by watching someone else do it.

There's also the slight complication of synesthesia, but that's another story.

email Dan Goodman
All comments assumed to be for publication, unless I'm told otherwise.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?