<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Dan Goodman's prediction and politics journal.

Friday, October 24, 2003

Friday October 24, 2003. There's a puppet show based on Thomas the Rhymer, put on by Barebones Productions, in Minnehaha Park in Minneapolis. I didn't quite catch the schedule on radio, and the online info I found was "more info coming".

In this version, Thomas is a weather forecaster before he goes to Elfland.

In the discussion on radio, it was mentioned that Thomas is kidnapped by the Queen of Elfland. To me, that interpretation is a bit odd. Every version of the ballad I've seen has him going voluntarily.

_______________________________
On description by pattern:

'Subject: Re: [FD] feedback wanted
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 18:13:00 -0400
From: Michael Wolff
To:

'Dan Goodman had written:

'Yesterday I wrote: "Description by pattern: The two writers who come first to my mind are William Blake and Ayn Rand. I'll need to do a fair amount of thinking before I can explain this."

'Please do. Other than the fact that both people were carbon-based life-forms who wrote, I can't find too much to connect them.'

They both had their own ideologies, and weren't shy about giving their opinions.

'Can you especially give me an example of a pattern in Rand's work?'

Not yet. I will say that to me, her characters seem to be patterns of thought which happen to be wearing bodies.

'"Imagine a character who, when he looks at plants, sees sequences of Fibonacci numbers. (Best explanation I've found: Fibonacci numbers and the golden section in nature; seeds, flowers, petals, pine cones, fruit and vegetables. ... Fibonacci Numbers and Nature....
www.mcs.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/R.Knott/Fibonacci/fibnat.html ) Showing the reader what such a character sees is another example of description by pattern. [And I now know that some people use Fibonacci numbers to forecast the stock market.]"

'So the author is providing the reader with an empathic experience? Allowing the reader to identify intimately with the thought process that the particular character is using?'

No. That's what the character _sees_. And it's frustrating not to be able to explain in detail.

However, elsewhere I'll be citing a couple of characters who I think are this way to some extent. From the writings of one Michael Wolff....

____________________________________
Doggie Census of New York Puts Breeds to ZIP Codes
By SUSAN SAULNY
Maybe you can't judge a book by its cover, but it sure looks as if you can judge New Yorkers by their dogs.
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/24/nyregion/24DOGS.html?hp

Di another day
by Brendan O'Neill

You don't have to be part of the anti-Diana brigade - one of those old-style brown-nosing monarchists - to know that she was a few diamonds short of a tiara in the months before her death by car crash in Paris in August 1997.
http://www.spiked-online.com/Articles/00000006DF8E.htm

email Dan Goodman
All comments assumed to be for publication, unless I'm told otherwise.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?