<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Dan Goodman's prediction and politics journal.

Sunday, November 30, 2003

Saturday November 29, 2003. A few months ago, I misheard "Olive Garden" as "Owl Garden". I now have a fictional bar-restaurant called the Owl Garden.

It occurred to me that the Biblical phrase "I am a brother to dragons, and a companion to owls" would go well with that name. And that I really ought to look the quote up before using it.

I googled on the phrase "companion to owls". A high percentage of the results was references to Jane Lindskold's novel _Brother to Dragons, and Companion to Owls_. (Not to be confused with books titled Brother to Dragons by Charles Sheffield, Robert Penn Warren, and at least three others.) I tried again with "Lindskold" excluded, and got some useful results.

I also got this:
The Bible UFO Connection - Bible Anomalies - The Biblical ...
... gates thereof were consumed with fire. Job 30:29 I am a brother to
dragons, and a companion to owls. Psalms 44:19 Though thou hast ...
www.bibleufo.com/crypto2.htm - 14k - Cached - Similar pages

________________
I started rereading _The Whim of the Unicorn_, and realized why I'd found Pamela Dean's two later books unsatisfactory. In both _The Dubious Hills_ and _Juniper, Gentian, and Rosemary_, there are important characters who aren't complete people.

_____________
On LiveJournal,matociquala recommends this essay on omniscient viewpoint:
http://www.livejournal.com/users/katallen/29405.html#cutid1 .

She also adds her own thoughts; those and comments can be found here: http://www.livejournal.com/users/matociquala/202432.html

_____________________________________
From the UK edition of Google news:
Label could put stop to fruit squeezing
New Scientist - 8 hours ago
A label that changes colour as fruit ripens is allowing shoppers to see whether pears are ready to eat without have to squeeze them.
Pears Saved from the Squeeze Test by Sticker Reuters
Sticker to show fruit's ripeness The Star
ABC Science Online - just-food.com - and 9 related

email Dan Goodman
All comments assumed to be for publication, unless I'm told otherwise.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?