<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Dan Goodman's prediction and politics journal.

Thursday, November 13, 2003

Wednesday November 12, 2003. Looks like some bodywork I've been doing has paid off. I found movement pleasurable more of the time than I did a few days ago.

To Pillsbury House. I did data entry for the Community Barter Network. Fewer forms waiting than I'd expected. Explanation: Someone who'd been in the hospital was back doing data entry on another day of the week.

As usual, there were a few problems. For example, a surname I couldn't read, with a common first name. Luckily, the phone number was readable. I selected participants with that first name, checked the one whose surname began with what I thought was the likeliest first letter.

Writing: There was an element in "The Caterpillar on the Leaf" which I had to either do something with (more than just a one-paragraph mention) or excise.

The definitive ending I had yesterday has been replaced.

Cooking: Chicken leg quarters broiled with grapefruit juice. They're about half done; I'll report on the results tomorrow. At 69 cents a pound, I figured I could afford a bit of experimentation.

_______________________________
Forget factories: Mountain towns turn to arts and crafts
After the tobacco leaf, the cotton, the furniture factories, come the potters. By Patrik Jonsson
http://www.csmonitor.com/2003/1113/p01s01-ussc.html

____________________________
From the St. Paul Pioneer Press http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/living/7228084.htm
In the dark, as on the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

At least, that might be one way to describe the Dinner in the Dark matchmaking concept, which hit the Twin Cities recently.

The scheme is basically a twist on the speed-dating idea, except that it takes place in an unlit dining room.

"It's pitch black; so dark you can't even see the hand in front of you. Meanwhile, your remaining senses — taste, touch, smell and hearing — are working overtime to pick up sight's slack. It may be dark, but the energy in the room has reached a feverish pitch!" promised a news release by City Date Connection, a new Twin Cities-based events-planning company. "All around you, single men and women are meeting one another without the benefit of sight. And they're having an absolute BLAST!"

From EurekaAlert http://www.eurekalert.org/pubnews.php
Public Release: 12-Nov-2003
Pop!Tech conference
Hello, will you be my friend?
Whether you want to meet a business partner or soul-mate, intelligent tags could provide those ice-breaker questions often required at networking conferences or parties. Called an nTag, each delegate's device is pre-programmed with their personal information supplied earlier to the organisers. The tags communicate with each other and then alert the wearer if they find the owners have anything in common.

I first encountered this idea in the 1970s, in a story by Tom Digby. (The story had an additional twist.) I vaguely recall, during the past year, a story about such an enhancement for Japanese cell phones or PDAs.

email Dan Goodman
All comments assumed to be for publication, unless I'm told otherwise.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?