<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Dan Goodman's prediction and politics journal.

Thursday, November 27, 2003

Wednesday November 26, 2003. I spent part of the afternoon turning foggy data into clear information.

More prosaically: I went to Pillsbury House and did data entry for the Community Barter Network. There were the usual problems: Unclear script where a form says "Please print clearly." People who use forms of their names different from what's in the database. People who don't add up their hours.

I enjoy this process. It's the same kind of enjoyment I get from doing crossword puzzles, or figuring out a newspaper story in a language I don't know.

I brought low-sodium snack food: matzo and a bottle of strawberry-flavored designer water.
The matzo worked fine. The designer water didn't; I couldn't detect any strawberry flavor.

As I was in the lobby, about to leave, someone began to bring in donations of ... clutter.
A handcart, a vacuum cleaner, children's books, ceramics of various kinds, from ones which seemed handmade to one which had come from Starbucks, a waffle iron, baskets.... He asked me to give him a hand, and I did.

I only took two things.

On Monday, I had bought what I thought the complete three books of Pamela Dean's Secret Country trilogy. However, I'd gotten two copies of _The Hidden Land_ and none of _The Whim of the Dragon_. Today, I went back to DreamHaven to exchange one Hidden Land for a Whim.

Elizabeth LaVelle took care of it -- after handing me a magazine I'd bought Monday but hadn't taken with me. My brain wasn't working as well as usual on Monday.

On to Rainbow Foods. They had turkey liver, which I like and wish I could find more often.
I also bought corn tortillas, which seem to have less sodium than anything made out of wheat flour; no-salt-added peanut butter; and a bunch of other stuff.

__________________________________________
Joel Rosenberg posted this in the Mnstf Natter mailing list, with the subject heading "No comment": http://img.tapuz.co.il/forums/20208414.htm

_____________________________________________________
From EurekAlert http://www.eurekalert.org/pubnews.php
Public Release: 26-Nov-2003
Wanted: people to test orgasmatron
In February 2001, New Scientist broke the news of an electronic spinal implant that can trigger the same effect for women who have an inability to achieve an orgasm naturally. We can now report that clinical trials of the "orgasmatron" have begun in the US. The surgeon who invented the device says one woman has successfully completed the first stage of the trial, in which wires were connected through the skin and into the woman's spinal cord.

Public Release: 26-Nov-2003
Annals of Emergency Medicine
New emergency department program 'fights' firearm-carrying youths
A new screening tool administered to adolescents seeking emergency care is effective and highly specific in predicting whether they carry firearms or not, according to a new study in the December 2003 issue of Annals of Emergency Medicine.

___________________________________________________
Thanks to The Volokh Conspiracy (http://volokh.com) for this nonstandard error report:
http://www.mamselle.ca/error.html


email Dan Goodman
All comments assumed to be for publication, unless I'm told otherwise.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?