<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Dan Goodman's prediction and politics journal.

Monday, December 01, 2003

Monday December 1, 2003. Yark! I was certain the third book in Pamela Dean's Secret Country trilogy was _The Whim of the Unicorn_. All through rereading it, I was certain of this. And now the cover says _The Whim of the Dragon_.

***From my post in a rec.arts.sf.composition discussion on planning (or not planning) a story:

"Other possibilities include: Writing a review of the book. Write a vitriolic refutation of the book, by one of your characters who's angry at you for your misinterpretations of his/her/its motives. (This doesn't have to be a villain; it could be the fifth most important character on the right side, annoyed that you've downplayed their achievements.)

"What seems to work better than other things I've tried so far is starting with dialog. Then going from the dialog to the personalities of the speakers and the situation they're in. I've never seen or heard of anyone else starting that way."

After thinking about that last, I went into "The Caterpillar on the Leaf" and converted most of the what-comes-next synopses with either dialog or the narrator narrating. The rest will be either summarized (in the narrator's voice) or deleted.

Assuming this is the best way for me to plan stories, this means I'll need a narrator telling the outline. This narrator could be either a first-person point of view character, or an authorial persona.

email Dan Goodman
All comments assumed to be for publication, unless I'm told otherwise.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?