<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Dan Goodman's prediction and politics journal.

Saturday, March 06, 2004

Saturday March 6, 2004 My subconscious is better than my conscious mind at linear, abstract thinking. My conscious mind is the part which thinks in webs of associations.

This morning, when I was fully awake, I'd made four writing decisions about "Well Met...." And before breakfast, I'd partially implemented all four.

I had breakfast after 3 pm, which makes it less impressive. (And I should not wait that long for my first meal. I should at least eat a carrot or some other snack.)

Weighed myself. I've lost about 20-25 pounds. About 45 pounds to go.

***Unconscious and conscious minds: On rec.arts.sf.composition, there's a divide between 1) people who say they write better while in altered (nonchemically) states of mind and 2) at least one who says he's always fully conscious while writing -- or while driving, etc. and that his conscious mind _is_ him. That if he's not conscious, he isn't there.

I remember seeing things that way. It contributed greatly to my insomnia.

***Must-read story: Bruce McAllister, "The Seventh Daughter" in the April Fantasy & Science Fiction. McAllister does more in three and a half pages than most fantasy writers do at book length. He turns familiar ingredients into something new; and he does that well.

A few other stories in this issue are interesting, but don't work for me:

James L. Cambias: "The Ocean of the Blind" shows an encounter with nonhumans from both human and nonhuman perspectives. If he'd left out the humans, I would probably have liked it better. Or if he'd made the humans more different from people of our time, perhaps.

Ray Vukcevich: "Gas" combines old (1929 or earlier) sf notions with an interesting new idea. I disliked the happy ending, for much the same reasons which keep me from rereading
Heinlein's _Glory Road_.

David Gerrold: "Dancer in the Dark" is an ambitious story, of a kind I haven't seen from him before. I felt I needed explanation of how the situation (humans literally siding with either darkness or light) came about.
__________________
From Google News:
RNC tells TV stations not to run anti-Bush ads
CNN - 1 hour ago
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The Republican National Committee is warning television stations across the country not to run ads from the MoveOn.org Voter Fund that criticize President Bush, charging that the left-leaning political group is paying for them with ...
GOP's voter drive to keep on truckin' Seattle Times
GOP asks TV stations to pull ads AZ Central.com
San Francisco Chronicle - The Age - GOPUSA - Boston.com - and 26 related

From the CNN story:
Vogel insisted that the RNC's problem with the ads stemmed from their funding, not their content.

"I write not because of the misleading allegations contained in the advertisement, which will be answered in due time, but because running this advertisement breaks the law," Vogel's letter said.
http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/03/06/moveon.ads/

email Dan Goodman
All comments assumed to be for publication, unless I'm told otherwise.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?