<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Dan Goodman's prediction and politics journal.

Wednesday, March 10, 2004

Wednesday March 10, 2004 Writing and unwriting: I've already put more work into "Well Met, Well Met, My Old True Love" than selling it would repay me for. And selling it isn't exactly a sure thing.

For me, reaching a certain level of competence at writing fiction has some of the same attractions as solving a New York Times crossword puzzle. But I'm nowhere near the stage of knowing that "reed instrument" with five letters is almost certainly "oboe".

The story events so far would've been fine, spread over several chapters. However, "Well Met..." is a short story. I've worked out how to prune some things, simplify others, move events offstage. At least, I think I've got that worked out.

If there's too much for a short story, why not write it as a novel? The odds are that if I made it a novel, there would be enough story events for a seven-book trilogy.
_______________________________________
From Google News http://news.google.com
Cups of coffee can ward off diabetes . . .
The Times, UK (subscription) - 16 hours ago
A major study involving more than 14,000 people in Finland, which has the highest rate of coffee consumption in the world, has revealed that those who drink most have the lowest incidence of adult-onset or type 2 ...
Drinking coffee may stave off diabetes Heart Center Online
Scientists say it's so: Joe can prevent diabetes Chicago Sun Times
Sydney Morning Herald - ShortNews.com - Glasgow Evening Times - Henderson Gleaner - and 95 related

email Dan Goodman
All comments assumed to be for publication, unless I'm told otherwise.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?