<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Dan Goodman's prediction and politics journal.

Friday, April 02, 2004

Friday April 2, 2004. On March 31st, Steeple People thrift store had priced a computer system at $50; when I saw it today, it had a "sold" tag. (Windows 98; 4 GB storage.) I was told that the buyer hadn't actually put down any money yet, and in half an hour it might be for sale again. I was mildly tempted to stick around, and buy it -- even though I didn't need it.

If I'd been looking in thrift shops for a used computer, I wouldn't have bothered with Steeple People. Computers are on their "we don't accept donations of ___" list.

I spent a whole quarter, and took one freebie -- a necklace made of mirror beads, to use as a meditation focus.

Across Lyndale to the Wedge. Bought free range chicken livers, and a couple of cheese samples.

To DreamHaven, where I used some of my trade-in credit for Holly Lisle's _Gods Old and Dark_. She's been doing something new and interesting in this series, and I wanted to see what happens in this story.

Reasons for not buying other new books included:

1) Author does not usually write stories -- the new one by Harry Turtledove.
2) Book is a tie-in, and it's not a tv show, movie series, or game universe which interests me.
3) Generalized Anxiety Disorder plus a couple of phobias mean I don't need horror fiction.
4) Author does not do anything new and/or interesting.

Not included: Disagreement with author on sociopolitical issues, or distaste for author's positions. (Heck -- I think Poul Anderson was wrong as a left liberal, as a conservative, and as a libertarian; and at all three stages, he held positions I find distasteful. But he's one of my favorite authors.)

***Cooked and ate the chicken livers, took a nap, and woke up recovered from the stuff I'd
been dealing with for the last few days.

email Dan Goodman
All comments assumed to be for publication, unless I'm told otherwise.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?