<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Dan Goodman's prediction and politics journal.

Friday, April 23, 2004

Friday April 23, 2004. Fictional computers work flawlessly, except when they misbehave flawlessly. Real computers are another matter.

To Pillsbury House, where I did data entry for the Community Barter Network and Pillsbury House's volunteer system.

I grew up with farm machinery that had originally been horse-drawn, and was adapted to be tractor-drawn. It might have been older than my father. The tractor was newer, but for sure older than me. None of this had aged gracefully.

The computer and the software worked more like that farm equipment than like the obedient computers of science fiction and thrillers.

I got the data entered. I printed a report which turned out to contain only a fraction of the information needed. It contained only that fraction because it had been set up that way.

***"He doesn't know which of us I am these days, but they know one truth. You must own nothing but yourself. You must make your own life, live your own life and die your own death...or else you will die another's." (Ellipsis in original.) Alfred Bester, opening of "Fondly Fahrenheit."

Point of view has been discussed recently on rec.arts.sf.composition and on Forward Motion(http://fmwriters.com). By all the rules, that paragraph shouldn't work.
_______
Ya Hoon Lee (yhlee on LiveJournal) asked me for readings on synesthesia. Part of my reply:

Try starting with: Blue Cats and Chartreuse Kittens: How Synesthetes Color Their Worlds by Patricia Lynne Duffy. And check the books here:
http://home.comcast.net/%7Esean.day/gifts.htm#Books
There's also a more technical reading list on that site.
_____________
Writing: Worked out the conversation explaining how a sexual-services cooperative works.

email Dan Goodman
All comments assumed to be for publication, unless I'm told otherwise.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?