<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Dan Goodman's prediction and politics journal.

Saturday, April 03, 2004

Saturday April 3, 2004. "Nothing odd will do long. _Tristam Shandy_ did not last." Samuel Johnson, author of the novel _Rasselas_.

***If I'd been feeling less burned out these last few days, I would have tried to find a ride to the Mnstf meeting. Or simply walked there today; it was within what I consider walking distance, though not _easy_ walking distance.

Instead, I went grocery shopping. Rainbow Foods had a special on whole chicken, and this was the final day.

[Later: The chicken carried a notice that giblets might be of irregular proportions. There were none at all, which I think goes beyond "irregular proportions".]

On my way back, I stopped at DreamHaven. Spent some of my trade-in credit on Lois Bujold's _Memory_ and Fritz Leiber's _Changewar_ (a collection of his Changewar stories.)

And I've just realized: One thing these two books have in common is characters who take for granted that certain things are unchanging -- and then those things change, in ways they never imagined. And keep changing.

***Writing: Grump -- looks like a choice between changing the viewpoint character into another kind of person, or changing from first person to tight third.

email Dan Goodman
All comments assumed to be for publication, unless I'm told otherwise.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?