<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Dan Goodman's prediction and politics journal.

Wednesday, April 21, 2004

Wednesday April 21, 2004. To Pillsbury House, to do data entry for the Community Barter Network. I reached a point where I needed to do something I couldn't manage without information not immediately available, and was running out of steam anyway. So, I'll be going back there on Friday.

The new software works better than the old, but I don't know it as well. And there's no Volunteer Coordinator at the moment.

***Writing: My characters get involved in a long planning session; and it occurred to me that they really should eat something. The 24th century, Twin Cities area -- what might they order?

I decided on General Dow's Chicken and Nicaraguan curry. The curry merely requires that there be one more migration from the Caribbean to Nicaragua, some time in the next couple of centuries. The chicken dish: there's an American-Chinese dish called General Tso's Chicken. In Canada, this has morphed into General Tao's Chicken. (And it just occurred to me that I ought to ask the American Name Society about this. The Canadian Society for the Study of Names seems to be more focused on geographical names.) The word usually spelled "Tao" in English is correctly pronounced more like "Dow."

***I'm now among the elite few thousand invited to sign up for Google's Gmail. And I've signed up. More later, after I've played around with the account a bit and perhaps actually begun using it.
________________________________
In Rosemary Edghill's _Warslayer_, the star of a Xena-oid TV show is zapped into another world and expected to do that stuff for real. For me, the interesting part is Greg Cox's
notes on the show. Besides an episode-by-episode guide, they include this bit of possibly-inadvertent alternate history:

'How much longer can the Vixen phenomenon thrive and flourish? From where I'm sitting, the sky's the limit. As of this writing, the first official Vixen novel, The Warslayer by Rosemary Edghill, is sitting atop the New York Times Bestseller List, while First Lady Tipper Gore just cited Vixen as "an outstanding role model for America's youth."'

_Warslayer_ was published in 2002, which means it was probably turned in to the publisher in 2001.

Downloadable from the Baen Free Library (see http://baen.com).

email Dan Goodman
All comments assumed to be for publication, unless I'm told otherwise.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?