<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Dan Goodman's prediction and politics journal.

Friday, May 21, 2004

Friday May 21, 2004. In Creating Short Fiction, Damon Knight says that the conscious mind thinks in linear fashion and the unconscious mind thinks in webs of associations. (He calls the unconscious "Fred," but that's another matter.)

Not with me. I think consciously in webs of associations; and part of my non-conscious mind is far better at linear thinking.

Today, I woke up with the realization that something I'd excised from "Well Met..." belongs after all. Not where I'd placed it, but much earlier.

I woke up realizing that something I'd taken out of "Well Met..." because it didn't fit actually does fit -- but much earlier than where I'd placed it.

Of course, this meant I would have to move around or take out stuff which now came later.

***Did some financial stuff which will hurt me in about nine years.

***My first Turkish-language spam.
_______________
Writing: daily exercise -- nonfiction on getting political dialects right.

Well Met, Well Met, My Old True Love -- Inserted a new scene. Brought three characters I'd excised back in. The one who isn't a spear carrier has developed a voice and a personality.

Made some of the needed changes farther up the line.

They Do Things Differently There -- Nothing today.

Killing Futures -- Nothing today.
____________________
http://www.eurekalert.org/econnews.php
Public Release: 20-May-2004
Beagles win first round in fight for reprieve from patenting
The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office has agreed to reexamine a patent on beagle dogs following a legal challenge filed in February by the American Anti-Vivisection Society and the PatentWatch Project of the International Center for Technology Assessment. In the challenge, the groups urged the Patent Office to cancel Patent # 6,444,872, which covers live beagle dogs and was issued to the Board of Regents of the University of Texas System in Austin, Texas.

Public Release: 20-May-2004
UU lays foundations for gulf police stations
University of Ulster expertise is shaping the public face of policing in Abu Dhabi, the centre of government and business life in the oil-rich United Arab Emirates (UAE).
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?