<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Dan Goodman's prediction and politics journal.

Friday, May 28, 2004

Friday May 28, 2004. Money in today's mail; an early withdrawal from my Thrift Savings Plan account. Also my replacement Social Security card, which I'll need for job-hunting.

I deposited the check at the Wedge's ATM, and bought a prepaid bus fare card. (So long as the weather is reasonably good for walking, I probably won't use buses often enough for a monthly pass to pay off.)

There were two alien plastic knives (Tupperware) in the free box at Steeple People thrift store. And I spent a bit under a dollar on kitchen stuff likely to be useful.

To HealthPartners Uptown, where I picked up allergy pills and made an appointment for my annual checkup.
________
Writing: Daily exercise:

In historical fiction, the early years of the 21st Century will be wonderful. In some versions, it will be kinder and simpler than "the present". In others, it will be a heroic age; when warriors fought bravely without having to fill out paperwork, and Judge Sawney Bean was the law west of Donner Pass.

One argument against this is that there's so much on record about the present. People will be able to know what it was really like. I don't think so. There are 1950s tv programs easily available; there are reams of books from the 1950s; there are microfilmed newspapers, historical accounts written by people who lived through the events -- and fiction gets the 1950s wrong.

For that matter, even the early Middle Ages generated a fair number of records.

Even factually-accurate historical fiction tends to say more about the time in which it was written than the time in which it was set.

George R. Stewart's The Years of the City is the biography of a Greek colony in southern Italy. It was written during the McCarthy era, and one chapter deals with something very much like McCarthyism. I don't think a similar novel written during any other time would have given as much space to that particular historical analogue. Greek homosexuality is presented as a symptom of cultural decay.

I think it would be possible to show a fictional future indirectly, using its view of our time as a mirror. Xena, Warrior Senator, perhaps?

"Well Met, Well Met, My Old True Love" -- I've now made it explicit: the heroine (?) has coldbloodedly chosen the protagonist as the man she intends to fall in love with.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?