<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Dan Goodman's prediction and politics journal.

Monday, May 31, 2004

Monday May 31, 2004. "It was nine o'clock at night and Tremaine was trying to find a way to kill herself that would bring in a verdict of natural causes in court when someone banged on the door." Martha Wells, The Wizard Hunters.

That beginning hooked me. A fantasy hero who's consciously suicidal is unusual.

The setting is also a bit unusual: an industrial society, rather than the standard medieveloid one.

_________________
Writing: Daily exercise -- Following the Rhymer's Trail.

"For all the ills that grow in Hell/ Light on the fruit of this countrie." I didn't realize I'd quoted those lines aloud.

"Don't worry," Maggie said. "These apples are organic. And pollution levels have gone down enough that even conventional food is safe. Well, at least as safe as in Earth."

I decided that if I wasn't going to eat the local food, then I had no business being in the restaurant.

I took an apple out of the bowl. "The woman tempted me."

It was good, though a bit sweet for my taste.

The waitress brought menus and glasses of water. "Would you like coffee, tea, or blood?"

I ordered tea. Maggie got coffee. I wondered if she would have ordered blood instead, if I hadn't been there.

The menu was in three languages, of which I recognized only English. I suspected that in the other two languages, the restaurant was called something other than "Fanny Hill's Garage."

The "local" section of the menu included blood sausage, black pudding, and other foods made from blood.

"For forty days and forty nights/ They waded in red blood to the knee," I quoted. "That's a continuity error; earlier, Thomas the Rhymer and the Queen of Elfland were on horseback."

"Marais Rouge isn't nearly that wide," Maggie said. "And I don't think there's any body of blood which is both that wide and shallow enough to wade in."

"But Thomas couldn't lie!"

Maggie looked at me. "Just in case you're not joking -- remember, there's only Thomas Rhymer's word that he couldn't lie."

***"Well Met, Well Met, My Old True Love" -- I figured out something essential about the story. It would be really nice to know such things before I begin, rather than after I think everything necessary is finally in the first draft.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?