<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Dan Goodman's prediction and politics journal.

Saturday, May 15, 2004

Saturday May 15, 2004. I got my first haircut in a long, long time. Got it from another Community Barter Network member at her home.

Deb did a good job -- both on the haircut and on the beard trim, which she didn't have experience with.

She lives in Linden Hills; a very nice neighborhood. Given my choice of Minneapolis neighborhoods, that's the one I'd want to live in.

***My neighborhood (EHFNA) had its annual neighborhood-wide yard sale today. I looked in on the two nearest sales which were still going when I returned from getting my hair cut. Picked up a few things from the free box at one of them.
_______________________
The discussion at http://www.crookedtimber.org/archives/001856.html led me to this:
http://home.sprynet.com/~owl1/irrationality.htm
Why People Are Irrational about Politics
Michael Huemer

Abstract: I look for explanations for the phenomenon of widespread, strong, and persistent disagreements about political issues. The best explanation is provided by the hypothesis that most people are irrational about politics and not, for example, that political issues are particularly difficult or that we lack sufficient evidence for resolving them. I discuss how this irrationality works and why people are especially irrational about politics.
_____________________
I've decided to do at least one writing exercise each day. Here's the first one:

The building was old, though not as old as it looked. Rather, as it would look to someone whose knowledge of history came from attending the Steam and Rocket Faire.

Two hundred years ago, an architect had designed an imitation of a mid-20th-century office building; one whose exterior was stone. The builders had decided to make it look as if it was made of wood. What kind of wood? A hodgepodge; one section appeared to be made of pine, another of mahogany, with what seemed to be maple between those two. Chalit wondered if some of the sections he didn't recognize might imitate woods which had never actually existed.

Inside, the lobby had several fireplaces along each wall. The fireplaces were also made of imitation wood -- at least, Chalit hoped so.
___________________
Writing: "Well Met, Well Met, My Old True Love" -- Realized I hadn't set down what changes about the protagonist; set it down. Made some smaller changes.

Killing Futures -- Changed the time scale. Decided on an important place name.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?