<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Dan Goodman's prediction and politics journal.

Monday, May 03, 2004

Sunday May 2, 2004. I downloaded and tried a freeware text editor called TinyEdit. It's faster to type with than Editpad Lite (my most recent favorite) or the others I've tried. Therefore, I've switched.

I write drafts on computer because it's easier and faster for me than writing longhand. I use a text editor because it's more convenient for me than any full-fledged word processor. I use freeware because this is an area in which freeware is usually better than commercial software.

***Rainbow Foods had a special on large eggs: 79ยข a dozen. (Current "usual" price: $1.19; medium eggs $1.17.) I bought eggs and a few other groceries.

***Writing: "Well Met...." now has the ending I think it needs. And I've moved more of it from zero draft to first draft.
__________________________
The following should be no surprise to anyone who's been paying attention:

U.S. Is Losing Its Dominance in the Sciences
By WILLIAM J. BROAD

Published: May 3, 2004

The United States has started to lose its worldwide dominance in critical areas of science and innovation, according to federal and private experts who point to strong evidence like prizes awarded to Americans and the number of papers in major professional journals.

Foreign advances in basic science now often rival or even exceed America's, apparently with little public awareness of the trend or its implications for jobs, industry, national security or the vigor of the nation's intellectual and cultural life.
http://nytimes.com/2004/05/03/science/03RESE.html?hp=&pagewanted=all&position= (Free subscription required)

email Dan Goodman
All comments assumed to be for publication, unless I'm told otherwise.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?