<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Dan Goodman's prediction and politics journal.

Sunday, May 30, 2004

Sunday May 30, 2004 To DreamHaven Books, where I used up most of my trade-in credit.

On to Rainbow Foods, where cherries were on sale. Bought those, bought eggs (also on sale,
not as good a bargain as last week's sale price).

Then to Lunds, where I bought turkey wings.
_______________
From a post I made on rec.arts.sf.composition:

"'Character can be expressed through action and reaction' is probably a reasonable way of putting things. If character A is told to look after B's purse and loses it, you have one character; if they abstract a few small coins to pay an urgent debt, you've got another; likewise if they refuse to hold the purse at all.

"I think that's one of the reasons I find character reasonably intuitive: every time something happens, there's the opportunity to demonstrate somebody's character.

"Ditto dialogue, naturally."

And it's one of the reasons I find character unreasonably non-intuitive.

Let me unpack that: After I've zero-drafted a scene, I will notice that certain things a character does or says don't fit. And I have to work from what I intuitively feel does and doesn't fit to why -- that is, to the character's personality.

And whatever I've worked out before writing about the character's personality is -- at very best -- like Patricia's outlines[1]. Example: I'm certain the character is a kind of person who would carefully guard the purse. He refuses, till he finds out that it only contains silver coins.

That's when I find out about his copper phobia and his gold phobia.

(And this is something I've just figured out on a conscious level -- thanks for helping me figure out what the problem is!)

[1] Patricia C. Wrede; while she's usually "Pat" in Twin Cities sf fandom, she's usually "Patricia" in rec.arts.sf.composition. She never follows an outline anywhere near exactly
-- but she can't work without an outline to deviate from.

Writing: Daily exercise -- done, posted to this journal.

"Well Met, Well Met, My Old True Love" -- a bit more added.
________________
From an article on John J. Myers, Archbishop of Newark (New Jersey) http://nytimes.com/2004/05/30/nyregion/30bishop.htm:

And while he prides himself on his intellectual heft as a canon lawyer, he is a devoted fan of "Star Trek" and spends his spare time working on a science fiction novel, "Space Hawk."

The book, which he is writing with his boyhood friend Gary K. Wolf (who wrote the novel that was turned into the animated Hollywood blockbuster "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?"), tells the tale of a writer and a priest named Jasper J. Moyers, who are living on a space station in the year 2052, battling a Nazi war criminal who possesses supernatural powers.

"Remember in geometry, when you changed one postulate and the entire equation is transformed?" he says. "To me that's what science fiction is like. You change one variable and then there's the intellectual exercise of imagining an entirely different world."
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?