<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Dan Goodman's prediction and politics journal.

Sunday, June 13, 2004

Sunday June 13, 2004. In my sleep, I worked out something about fiction. When I read fiction, I'm interested in what happens to the characters; the protagonist(s) and the next tier of characters.

If nothing changes, then -- no matter how many action scenes there are -- I lose interest. That's one reason why I gave up on Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" fantasy series. If there are too many major characters to keep track of, I lose interest.

And if Dorothy Heydt's Eight Deadly Words -- "I don't care what happens to these people" -- enter my mind, I stop reading.

Note: The protagonist and other major characters don't have to be living creatures. Examples in which they aren't: George R. Stewart's Storm, Fire, and The Years of the City, whose protagonists are a hurricane, a forest fire, and a Greek colony in southern Italy.
_____________________
Writing: Daily exercise -- Done.

"Well Met, Well Met, My Own True Love" -- A bit more changed from zero draft to first draft. A bit of first draft tweaked.

"They Might be Windmills" --

"History Line" -- I didn't want to begin another story, but this one insisted. I've had parts of it in the back of my mind for a while. Zero draft started.
______________________
Technophiles could soon use mobile phones to create and access interactive city guides. A four-week trial of the latest technology has just begun in London.
http://www.nature.com/nsu/040607/040607-10.html

A girls' team, a fired coach, and Title IX
By Warren Richey | Staff writer of The Christian Science Monitor
WASHINGTON – When coach Roderick Jackson complained that his girls' basketball team was being treated like second-class citizens at Ensley High School in Birmingham, Ala., school administrators took firm and immediate action - against Coach Jackson.

"I was told that I was not a team player, that I needed to play ball or I was going to make problems for myself," Mr. Jackson says. "And they weren't joking." He was fired.
http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/0614/p01s01-usju.html
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?