<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Dan Goodman's prediction and politics journal.

Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Tuesday June 1, 2004. I had my annual checkup at HealthPartners Uptown. I'm now safely away from the borders of diabetes and high blood pressure.

But the veins in my legs are still a problem.

I'm about thirty pounds lighter than I'd been, and will probably continue to lose weight for a while.

I mentioned that my toenails had gotten brittler these last few years. He reassured me that this wasn't a sign of anything dire. If it bothered me, I should eat Jello or take gelatin capsules.

Across the street to Penzeys Spices. I stocked up on Florida Seasoned Pepper, which substitutes sour salt (citric acid), lemon peel, and orange peel for salt. I also got two non-salted mixtures: balti seasoning and vindaloo seasoning.

On to the Wedge co-op. They had non-salted chicken in the deli; since I'd suggested this (the deli manager had already been thinking about it), I felt I ought to buy it at least every now and then. I also got bulgar; I like it, and it's cheaper than rice. (Not everywhere; but at the Wedge, it's cheaper than rice is at any store I know of.)

Mail: An ad from the Stephen King Library. Which led me to wonder if anyone had written a cross-over between Stephen King's Maine and the Maine depicted in the TV show "Murder She Wrote."

De Profundis; monthly newsletter of LASFS (the Los Angeles Science Fantasy Society).
________________
Writing: Daily exercise -- posted to this journal.

"Well Met, Well Met, My Old True Love" -- I got a bit more done. Not nearly as much as I intended; I think mostly because I had medical stuff on my mind.
_______________________
** Mitochondrial Mutations Blamed for Aging

Despite the search for the fountain of youth, growing older remains inevitable. Some biochemical effects of aging are thought to relate to cell structures called mitochondria, thousands of which are present in every cell. Mitochondria are the cell's energy converters and have their own DNA. Scientists have long known that mutations in mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) become increasingly common in older animals, but they have not been able to determine whether such mutations are a cause of aging or an effect. Until now.
http://cl.extm.us/?fe9013717c63057d73-fe3117727760037d771076
______________________________
From EurekAlert http://www.eurekalert.org/pubnews.php:
Public Release: 1-Jun-2004
Journal of Management
Study: Business people win when they apologize, take personal blame for mistakes
Love means never having to say you're sorry - but a new study suggests that attitude won't fly in the business world. People who are wronged in a business transaction may be more likely to say they would reconcile if the offender offers a sincere apology - particularly if the offender takes personal blame for the misdeed. While it's obvious that apologies would help smooth a bruised business relationship, such messages of regret are not common enough.

Public Release: 1-Jun-2004
'Controlling light with light': Making optics history at Stevens
Dr. Rainer Martini and post-doc Robert Murawski have taken a mid-infrared laser beam, illuminated it directly with a near-infrared fiber-optic laser diode, and switched a message from one beam to the other. The concept is not new, but its first demonstration in a laboratory opens new horizons in telecommunications, with implications for the secure, all-optical transmission of voice and data.
Stevens Institute of Technology
Comments:
Love the way it feels

OK, my wife had been doing this for a while, and I decided a few months back that I would try it too. After some initial discomfort it was great and the results were phenomenal. I just love the way it feels and so does she. We�re both happy campers.

And the second time was much easier than the first. Nothing like going bare. We went to Brazilian waxing studio.salon spasalon spa
Mark, Minnepolis
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?