<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Dan Goodman's prediction and politics journal.

Monday, August 09, 2004

Sunday August 8, 2004. At the Wedge Co-op, I wrote a suggestion: a list of foods they carry which are salt-free or low-sodium. I added that "with sea salt" does not count. (This had come up in a phone conversation with a Wedge employee.)
_____________
8/8/04 Daily Exercise I See The Situation. I Don't See the Problem.

There's a theory that new technology which allows people to choose what they see and hear is depriving Americans of a common culture. We will no longer watch the same TV programs, listen to the same music, get the same slant on the news. If This Goes On, there will be disastrous yadda, yadda, yadda.

My neighborhood probably votes a bit left of San Francisco. (Not left of Berkeley, though there are one or two Minneapolis neighborhoods which might manage that.) There are conservatives in my local sf-fandom group(s); but they're not entirely orthodox -- I don't think any of them consider gay marriage an assault on civilization, for example. (Other people in the Twin Cities may almost never encounter anyone who isn't a conservative.)

I don't listen to Rush Limbaugh or other conservative radio commentators. The radio station I get news and commentary from (WCAL) probably has a mild liberal bias.

I listen to traditional folk music, some singer-songwriter folk, classical, and popular music from the 1940s and earlier. Without the benefit of New Technology, I stay away from current popular music.

I don't watch the same television shows as everyone else, because I don't watch television.

I have almost no interest in team sports. Which means I've cut myself off from what some people consider to be an essential part of American culture.

But, thanks to the Internet, I do encounter worldviews and opinions very different from mine. Liberal and conservative political blogs quote each other; interesting people on LiveJournal turn out to see the world quite differently from the way I see it.
__________
Writing: daily exercise -- Done; see above

"Well Met, Well Met, My Own True Love" -- Made the ending a bit more explicit.

"They Might Be Windmills" --
"History Line" --
"Port Useless" --
__________
Decluttering: Archeological dig at one set of shelves. Trash taken out.

Mindwork: Some mini-meditations.

Bodywork:
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?