<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Dan Goodman's prediction and politics journal.

Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Tuesday August 3, 2004. From today's spam: "Mailbox underlivered or trouble with transmittion."

***Where are all the baskets coming from? Steeple People thrift store has a lot of them. So does the Savers near Lake and Minnehaha. And a lot have turned up at the Temple Israel rummage sale. Is someone turning zucchini into baskets?

Today, Temple Israel's sale was half-price for most things, with books $1 a bag. I spent
$1.75, and had as much as I could carry. (I could've carried more if I'd taken my larger backpack -- which is why I took the smaller one.)

A noticeable minority of shoppers looked as if they were from the Middle East or the Indian Subcontinent (features and clothing).

***At the Walker Library, I saw William Gibson's Pattern Recognition. I looked through it, and decided against taking it out.

It's about something which interests me. Unfortunately, the plot gets in the way.

I suspect that from Gibson's point of view, I'm rather like someone who reads sex stories about strip poker because he's interested in playing poker -- and finds the sex extraneous. However: I can find unsolved disappearances and Evil Conspiracies in thousands of novels. Novels with high-powered pattern recognition are much rarer.

Perhaps I should write the story I wish Gibson had written.
_________
Writing: daily exercise -- Done: ADD and Cluttering: My Experience

Attention Deficit Disorder is _one_ problem often associated with cluttering. (Others include: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, sub-category Checkers and Hoarders. Dragons are reputed to often have this form of OCD. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Depression and Bipolar.) However, there are clutterers who don't have any of these; and there are people with one of these who aren't clutterers.

I have ADD. The first medication the doctor tried works for me. (It can take some time to find the right medication for a particular person.) But that didn't magically solve any problems. I had to work on changing my habits.

Family tradition is another part of the problem. Both of my parents were pack rats. So was at least one of my grandparents.

(This is also common among clutterers. But so is the opposite -- parents who were painfully neat.)

It helps to keep track of what I do toward decluttering -- and also what I do which results in clutter. Electronic forums are useful -- when I use them. Attending Clutterers Anonymous meetings (and keeping in touch between meetings) also helps.

"Well Met, Well Met, My Own True Love" -- Some zero draft added at the end, some first draft changes earlier.

"They Might Be Windmills" --
"History Line" --
"Port Useless" --

Decluttering: Some kitchen utensils disposed of. Library book returned.
_____________
Mindwork: Looked at shiny beads and at stones with interesting patterns. Since I did this for very short times (less than a minute), it doesn't count as meditation according to any set of meditation instructions. However, it does help me to focus.
__________
Bodywork: When I remembered, moved a little faster than usual. (Suggested in How to dance forever: surviving against the odds, Daniel Nagrin, New York: Morrow, 1988, ISBN: 0688077994 0688074790.) Did a fair amount of walking.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?